Saturday, March 23, 2013

My Sister the Single Parent ( but SO much more than that)

In honor of National Single Parent Day on March 21, I've decided to write up a short little post about the single parent closest to me, my younger sister. Things around the web have been a bit harsh in regards to single parents lately, with everything from a new report from policy research organization Third Way seemingly blaming single moms for the decrease in men's economic earnings to the usual senseless dribble from the Heritage Foundation ( which I'm not going to link to here. If you want to read it ,look it up, but in my opinion, the sooner they vanish away into oblivion, the better). Despite these stories, and the attendant stereotypes about single and young mothers  that often accompany them, the truth of the matter is never so black and white. What I want to talk about here is the fact that single parents ( not just mothers) have it HARD, much more so than partnered parents, and deserve some credit for both their struggles and their success. Case in point, my sister Lesa. In short, I think she's amazing. Although I won't get into why she was forced into the role of single parent here, suffice it to say that it was not a choice. Most single parents do not set out with the goal of being that way. They find themselves in tough situations and make what they see as being the best choice both for themselves and for their children. My sister had her oldest child while still in high school and her youngest shortly after graduating from college. Whats that you say, your sister graduated from college single and with children?  She didn't end up some ignorant, drug-addicted mooch like some people would have you think all single, young parents will?  No, she did not end up anywhere near that. And not only that. My sister has had to deal with the loss of "friends" after becoming pregnant so young, with the abuse and abandonment of partners, and with all the stress that normally comes along with parenting. This is some heavy stuff to talk about, much less have to live through. And here's the thing- She has done an amazing job, both on improving herself and on being one heck of a role model to her two young children. She was in the top 5 percent of her high school class and graduated college with a 3.9 GPA. Pretty awesome huh? Her children are not damaged, mentally or emotionally, and they do not live in poverty. They are some of the smartest, most creative, imaginative and loving children that I have ever met. True story: When they were visiting with me in Austin last year, we went out to grab a bite at Taco Cabana and Benjamin, then 6, goes up to a black lady at the coke machine, gives her a huge hug, and says I love you. Which cracked everyone around him up. And I mention her race because racism is still a VERY present force in the small town where the children are being raised. And I'm very proud of my sister for not passing such filthy ideas on to her children. Same for the religion aspect of small northeast Texas towns.  I'm not saying that life is all sunshine and roses for Lesa or her kids. Or that she never loses her temper or that the kids never get frustrated and act like....well like normal frustrated kids. What I am saying is that she is doing an awesome and commendable job being a single parent. That she daily considers the needs and wants of her children and seeks to meet all of them that she can, all on her own. And I know there are tons of other single parents out there that do the same thing. They do not deserve our doubt, our judgement, or our assumptions. They deserve a high five ( and some help, both on a personal and national scale). So here's your high five Lesa. Way to go :)

1 comment:

  1. Thank you Laci. I wish more people would read this, it was very beautiful.

    ReplyDelete